Laura R. Farmer
Mrs. Farmer’s Motto: “Success, Nothing Less”
Teacher leader and lifelong learner who believes that all students have the capacity to meet great academic challenges, once given a strong dedicated teacher to lead them.
Education Master of Arts in Teaching| Middle Grades Language Arts and Reading|LaGrange College |LaGrange, Georgia |Completion date: July 2012
Middle Grades Education| University of West Georgia | Carrollton, Georgia|Courses completed in Middle Grades Classroom Management, Differentiation and Assessment, Middle Grades Literature, and Early American Literature|2011
Bachelors of Arts, Communications and Spanish minor| Georgia State University| Atlanta, Georgia |August 2001
Certifications: Middle Grades Language Arts, Middle Grades Social Studies, Early Childhood Education, Reading Add-on Certification
2015-current|Madras Middle School|Newnan, Georgia|6th grade ELA/Reading teacher
2014-2015|Thomas Crossroads Elementary|Sharpsburg, Georgia|5th grade teacher-all content
2012-2014|Heard County Middle School|Franklin, Georgia|6th grade ELA/Reading teacher
2012|Westside Magnet School|LaGrange, Georgia|6th grade ELA/Reading teacher
2011|Gardner Newman Middle School|LaGrange, Georgia|8th grade ELA/Reading teacher
2001|Substitute Teacher Carroll County Schools
1999|Substitute Teacher Fayette County Schools
In the Classroom:
• Create differentiated lesson plans that enable all students to make academic progress in the subject area of language arts.
• Use the Backward Design model of lesson planning to ensure the desired end results.
• Utilize group and student centered learning as often as possible to keep all students engaged and on task.
• Administer formative and summative assessments to measure adequate student progress, and change lesson plans if necessary.
• Create classroom procedures to ensure smooth classroom management.
• Craft all lesson plans based on the Common Core Standards.
Technology: Experience utilizing Promethean/Smart Boards for every day instruction, Projectors, Microsoft Office Suite including Powerpoint, Publisher, Word, Outlook and Excel, Social Media: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Skype, Pinterest, Blogger, Ipads, BYOT, Apps, internet, e-mail, digital photography, website development, instant messaging.
Professional Growth: Co-founder of #CowetaEdChat, Co-founder of EdCampWestGA, Member of the NCTE (National Council of Teachers of English), participate in conventions, participated in system wide training for Common Core Standards, restraint training, attend staff and parent meetings, strong belief in continual education and training through books, social media, trade journals, and conventions.